Sunday, August 16, 2009

Inspired by Hurt

Although in no way am I aching these days, I of late stumbled across an old poem which was written during a time when I was hurting.
I have always been one to appreciate the times that were the hardest. Not only because the hard times are the ones by which the most lesson is taught and the most experience is gained, but because, as an artist, they are the times that inspire so much creativity. Not because they are creative moments, but because, when saddened, I am often lifted to a place of emotional awakening that I can't ignore and am often overwhelmed by, hence being an emotional mess.
I have never turned away a sad or angry feeling but embraced it and used it to my artistic advantage.
Writing is my escape above all else. If I lost my ability to speak tomorrow I would be always happy writing.
Here is what I scratched down on a night that I was feeling rather down and had a heavy weight on my chest...


I scream a song, in tune I scream
I struggle late to sleep, to dream
My chest be burdened by a weight
I fear to face...
I scream a song, in tune I scream
I wish to cure, I fear to bleed
I wish to lift the ache I seethe
among my dreams....

I write to woe, I woe to write
By day I sleep, alive by night
Alone while dark, a crowd by light
when needed least....
I write to woe, I woe to write
Compelled, I second guess my rights
My mirrored figure comes to life
whose opinions cause riot....
riot within...
riot without riot...

My memory begins to lapse, and by this golden thread I grasp
----------------------------

A bit of beauty drawn from a dark moment.

I embrace the dark but to understand its depths. My light will be fashioned accordingly to erase all such darkness.
Amen to the life I lead both light and dark, good and bad, experience for experience, a contrast, existence...

Goodnight readers,
Dare to dream




No comments:

Post a Comment