Friday, July 10, 2009

Well....Here we go kids


I've been waiting for the perfect moment to release my blog unto the world....
I don't know what it was, whether I needed some sort of moment of universal realization or for everything to be completed on other fronts before I tackled the more interactive portion, all I know is it had to be perfect.
Some sort of point in time where I felt creative and inspired enough to take on the presumable challenge of birthing the beginnings of a great and hopefully enjoyable, follow-able, blog.
Don't fret however my unsuspecting readers.... that moment is NOW!

5 am, sour warm orange juice in hand, sitting outside on a quaint porch engulfed in the crisp morning air. The street before me is riddled with houses that are a controlled chaos of overgrowth. Some unkept, sure, but it adds a certain... oneness with nature vibe, to the neighborhood (Hence the hybrid low emission vehicle in the driveway).
This is twice now, in a row, that I've woken up at 5 am and both times I have fallen a little more in love with the too often unconsciously overlooked hour. In July, 5 am is a little gem of peace which can most definitely be used to refresh and reestablish oneself.

The cold air causes my breathe to smoke in front my face, reminding me of the night previous. The smoke billowing from the mouths of hundreds, if not thousands of "burn one downers".

Seeing Ben Harper in concert was indescribable for me. It was one of those surreal moments in time that always pass far to quickly. And of all the acts I could have seen to solidify my choice to pursue music as my career, Ben was ideal. His passion and love while he sang and played made me long to feel as he did. His entire set was utterly alluring.
The best part about it was I knew how he felt. I know the joy and raw emotion that can be felt while playing or while singing, especially your own material.
I also always had a fear that playing your own songs so often as a musician would destroy your connection with the words and feelings of the songs, but Ben convinced me otherwise and that my friend, was appreciated.

Every time I get an opportunity to see a musician play, whether large or small, it is always an affirmation of my desire to play and be heard. What an incredible honor and privilege it would be to have thousands of people come to see you play. Scream your name. Know your songs. SING your songs. Be touched by your passionate words. Want to meet you just to feel inspired. It is that experience that drives me. Those are the moments that will keep me going until I am on that stage and the world is listening.

I have a crazy road ahead of me and I am excited, scared, ready, unprepared, nervous, confidant and everything else in between.
One aspect that I know I'm worried about is the Thunder Bay - Toronto transition. I have a sneaking suspicion that the music scene and lifestyle may or may not be a bold contrast. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to it, but it will be quite the experience and I pray it is not all to much for me.

Heck, when you have no other option on your plate but to make it, nothing will be too much.

This being my introductory post, I'll end by enticing everyone to check up weekly.
This blog will be my vent every step of the way, the goods (hopefully plenty) and the bads (hopefully not so plenty but definitely welcomed (I need more material ;)))
Any sort of comment or discussion is encouraged.

I look forward to an absurdly inconceivable journey and I hope to share it with anyone and everyone who is willing to listen.
Thank you to everyone who has encouraged this movement, I've never been happier....

"But that was now and this is then, It never lasts for long
How I miss the good old days; but Im so glad theyre gone
Wont you let me treat you kind
Were gonna burn to shine"
-"Burn to Shine", Ben Harper

-isaac

1 comment: