Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Lot Can Change - Fighting Cancer

I was speaking with a good friend of mine just the other day and he said to me "You ever have those times in your life where, over the course of maybe 2-3 months, or say 6 months, you change more than you have in your entire life?" I smiled and nodded. Knowing that those major transitions had BEEN my life since I was young. I responded by telling him "My friend, I've changed more in the past two weeks than I have in my entire life"

I love change. I embrace and worship change. Any opportunity to re-evaluate who I am and what I stand for is intriguing and engaging for me. So yah, I've come across a few moments in my life where I've looked at my situation and sculpted a new, more centred, more understanding individual within myself. I think it's been the catalyst for the growth of my soul. I know it has.

About four weeks ago I was diagnosed with cancer. Although the cat has whispered through the bag already I figured I would publicly post this to calm any concerned minds. It's a scary thing to say out loud but what I've come to realize is it's an even scarier thing for people to hear while far away. The cancer I've acquired however is controllable and, if one had to get any kind, it's a kind that can be treated quite well. Success rates are very positive and treatment is not intolerable.
So nobody worry for me from afar. If you were near, you'd see my high spirits and my comfort with the entire thing. Most days I feel like a regular Joe (who watches a lot of movies and plays a lot of video games)

Getting the news was a strange moment for me. The doctor who had to tell us was ready for the family breakdown. It was my parents and I, sitting in a screened off section of emergency, waiting to hear whether or not my blood work showed cancerous cells (the type of cancer I've gotten is called Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_lymphoblastic_leukemia)
I could tell the doctor was nervous. He was new, and stumbled over most of what he said, delicate not to be insensitive, but trying to act his part as the professional. When he confirmed their findings I'm sure he was surprised to see our family take it fairly calmly. Little did he know he was sitting with the Matthews family. Little rattles us. We simply said "Well, alright then. What now?" Taken aback he continued to try and provide comfort but I'm sure he was relieved.

I didn't care to be emotional regarding it. That's what you'll find to be the reoccurring theme throughout this blog. The lack of emotion - at least in regards to the cancer itself. I wasn't scared, nor did I immediately think of death or any of that Hollywood hub-bub. I felt completely plutonic towards the disease, as though I had just been told I had a mean fever and we were gonna give you some pills for it. Just another sickness to fight off. I don't know if this is a quality that I posses or it is how most people take this kind of news? It was much easier though. I was too young to envision something like this taking my life; that wasn't even an option. And even if treatment sucked it couldn't be any worse than when I got my wisdom teeth out or fought off other crazy infections I'd had as a child. I would follow the doctors instructions, go through some crazy tests and maybe even surgeries, then I'd be back on the road. That's what I knew. That's what I know. There's no other options to even entertain really. I'm 22! I have waaaaaaay to many things to screw up still and discover. This was just a speed bump to pass over. Reaffirm some beliefs and move on. That's how I saw it, and still see it as we speak.

The next week or two was spent hooked up to IV after IV helping my body recover from all the infections I had developed while ignoring the signs of my condition - lol (p.s. if you ever feel off...just go get some work done. Why not just do it!? We're such a stubborn species)
It was during this time that I was introduced to so many experiences that I care not to mention them all. Some too personal to reveal, some too spiritual to make sense of. It was this lying alone in a hospital bed, staring at a wall, feeling my body fight with everything it had, that allowed me to undergo constant and immense self-analyzation and self-realization. A moment in my life that I'll forever view as an opportunity opposed to an unfortunate event.

Where I began to get emotional was in the out pouring of support. I would receive letters and emails from friends and family of whom I hadn't spoken in years. Even to have someone who I would consider an acquaintance, no, nearly a stranger, send a message saying they spend a moment each day praying for me was so powerful to me. I'm a strong believer in the power of thought and to know that individuals were taking a second from their busy days to stop and think about my well being nearly brought me to tears. It's an incredible gesture and to all who spent the time for me I am forever in your gratitude. Your love was most definitely felt and it inspired me to stay happy during the hardest of days. It was such a powerful, beautiful gift to be cared for from all over the country. Even the world. I had forgotten about so many incredible individuals I had met throughout my life, all of whom I wish I could gather together and have a giant celebration for!
I don't know who said it but there is that quote that mentions gauging your life based on the type of people you've surrounded yourself with. My life is full of the worlds greatest people. I can confidently say that. I am lucky enough to be friends and be loved by some of the kindest, most caring, most generous lovely people in the world. All of this has given me so much hope for the state of all of us. It is a shame it takes some bad news to encourage the outpouring but at least I am now aware that the flood gate exists. The world is full of wonderful people, don't ever think twice about that fact. If you need a friend or a kind shoulder, they are out there. I promise you.

In any case, I wished not to make this blog too long. I simply wanted to make certain my situation to those who hadn't heard, and to also express my deepest love towards everyone in my life. Yes, everyone I've ever met who has helped shape who I am. This is a battle that I must take on and I am glad for it. It has given me the opportunity to focus on positivity each and every day. It's allowed me to spend the time appreciating those in my life including my incredible family and friends. It's given me the chance to slow down life for a moment and really discover what's important and where I want to go.
It's given me the chance to conquer something. Something that had taken my life from my hands, and now I get to take it back. A liberating moment that I am blessed to experience.

Treatment has been going perfectly to plan. I am young and have a healthy body so it fights valiantly and successfully.

Thank you again to everyone who has supported me and spent time for me. A million thank yous. I look forward to seeing everyone and handing out some fierce hugs!

I'll let you know when I'm cancer free and taking over the world once more :)

Cheers & love,
Isaac Matthews

14 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you man. All the best in your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking about you and praying for you everyday stay strong xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me, thank you for doing this, as perhaps therapeutic it is for you , it just makes those who care about you feel calmer and know that you are in the right mindset. Your gift of writing is a true treasure , and just your honesty and vulnerablity even makes you more endearing. You will always have a special place in my heart lots of love xox Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isaac, you continue to inspire so many each and every day. My family, colleagues and Grade Four students (who now have a new superhero!!!) have been so inspired and changed by your very poignant words of wisdom and incredible example of strength, faith and positive outlook. Your words move me to tears....and I do agree. In some divine way this has been a strange gift, and one that you are using to reach so many. Keep writing-your heart and words are such a gift to us all, Issac! We love you! xoxo The Evans' and CC Kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. issac your words are powerful and i believe that you were chosen to share your talents, you've been blessed. many never get a chance to find out what their purpose is, some of us do, then it is up to us to inspire in whatever manner we have the tools for. you, wise man have been blessed with clear, honest mastery of word, thank you for sharing your thoughts, and i look forward to shedding more beautiful healing tears as i watch you help change our world to be a more positive one, god bless issac
    debbie m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tribute post to reference back to your post just made on flo's account. Love you baby brother xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Issac,
    You are an inspiration to everyone trying to gain strength throughout similar journey's. I see people every day go through what you are facing. Your courage is inspirational. It brought tears to my eyes.
    You are a very unique human being.
    You are amazing~ Keep up the fight!!

    Jolene Lechkkon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending good vibes from the Centre of the Universe (Toronto) hahaha - Darroch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isaac,
    To the question of your life, you are the only answer. To the problems of your life, you are the only solution. Keep strong and I am always praying for you :)
    xoxo Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are thinking of you Isaac. Stay strong.
    Lenny, Leah, Ruby & Waylon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Isaac,
    You probably don't even know me.. or maybe you know me through Tamara, Vanessa and Paula.
    Anyway, I heard this news and found this blog and just wanted to wish you well on your road to recovery. You are clearly very strong.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Isaac,

    I just came across your blog after hearing tonight that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I was just reminiscing about high school and all the people who made an impact on me while there, you being one of them.
    We were never close or even friends but you touched my life and I just wanted to let you know that.
    I remember you as such an amazing, vibrant, strong person. You always seemed so bright and optimistic and are truly a person who can be called brilliant.
    I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you during this time and I hope and pray for the best for you. I feel so blessed having met you, as I'm sure others feel the same.
    I hope you stay strong and never lose sight of the amazing person you are as you struggle with your battle against cancer.

    <3 I hope all the best for you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isaac,

    To hear you be so positive in a time where many would feel defeated is so amazing to see. You have always been so full of life, so to see you stand your ground and remain who you are and even grow as a person is beautiful. Know that your strenght transpires to All.

    God Bless You and may this new year bring you good health

    God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isaac,

    I do not know you well or rather at all but I do have you on Facebook for some reason. That reason has turned out to be you being my inspiration. I came across your blog as I was trying to figure out if you shaved your head for fun or it was due to something else (Looks badass by the way). I cried as I read your blog not because it's sad but because it was so positive and uplifting. The world most definitely needs more Isaac Matthews in it. Thank you for being such a strong and positive person, you have helped me remember to stay positive and have brightened my world with your strong and heartfelt words. Have a wonderful new year and I truly wish you all the best.

    S.

    ReplyDelete